Consultation process in the lead up to the 2019 Global Platform
As part of its continued commitment to ensuring an inclusive and multi-stakeholder approach to the Global Platform, UNDRR, from December 2017 to May 2018, carried out a series of consultions and dialogues with Member States, the UN system and other stakeholders on the thematic focus and substantive aspects of the Global Platform. As a result of this process, a concept note defining the thematic focus and a tentative agenda were finalized in June 2018. Multi-stakeholder organizing teams were established in July 2018 to help shape the substantive sessions of the Global Platform.
Regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction
Regional Platforms are recognized by the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction as critical processes and mechanisms to monitor progress in its implementation at the regional level and to support the preparations for and discussions at the 2019 Global Platform.
Serious efforts are being made to ensure coherence and complementarity among the 2018 Regional Platforms and the 2019 Global Platform in terms of objectives, structure and agenda setting.
A common objective of the Regional Platforms is to align existing regional strategies for disaster risk reduction with the priorities set out in the Sendai Framework. They also focus on critical aspects of indicators, monitoring and national implementation of the Sendai Framework.
The organization of the 2018 Regional Platforms and the 2019 Global Platform benefit from a genuine multi-stakeholder approach with the engagement and contribution from governments, stakeholder groups, the private sector, civil society in both the preparatory processes for the Platforms and at the Platforms' discussions.
Calendar of 2018 Regional Platforms on Disaster Risk Reduction
- Americas: Regional Platform for the Americas, 20-22 June, 2018, Cartagena, Colombia
- Central Asia and South Caucasus: Sub-regional Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction, 26-27 June 2018, Yerevan, Armenia
- Asia: Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, 3-6 July 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Africa-Arab Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction: 9-13 October 2018, Tunis, Tunisia
- Europe: European Forum on Disaster Risk Reduction, 21-23 November 2018, Rome, Italy