Close date: 5 Mar 2013
Summary of main duties:
This post is located in Executive Office of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) secretariat. Under the supervision of the Budget & Finance Officer, and in close consultation as applicable with other Executive Office and finance colleagues, the incumbent:
- Establishes pre-encumbrances and miscellaneous obligation documents to cover financial commitment of projects, ensuring correct object codes of expenditure, proper supporting documentation and availability of funds. Prepares financial cables authorizing United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and other partner agencies to incur expenditures on behalf of UNISDR. Prepares requests for payment of bills to external agencies, remittances to agencies and companies for services provided to projects.
- Compiles all documents necessary to process a grant (signed agreement, minutes of the grant committee, expenditure request) and prepares miscellaneous obligating documents. Follows-up with Focal Points on outstanding reports as per signed agreements.
- Verifies outstanding obligations and assists the supervisor in liquidating obligation balances. Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget. Maintains up-to-date work unit files ( both paper and electronic).
- Compiles data and reports for International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) data collection and analysis exercises. Compiles data and reports needed for the in-house Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP); E-management tool and Umoja.
- Acts as back up and performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., supporting travel and workshop processes; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors; inventory management and reporting; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences and translations.
- Professionalism: Good knowledge of the UN financial rules and regulations. Shows pride in work and in achievements, demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Good knowledge of computer applications, in particular MS Excel, is required. Knowledge of the finance modules in IMIS is preferable.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within the prescribed time, cost and quality standard; and operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided as “clients” and seeks to see things from their point of view; identifies clients’ needs and matches appropriate solutions; keeps client informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources to complete work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as required.
Qualifications and experience:
Completion of secondary school or its equivalent commercial school. At least 3 years of administrative experience, of which 2 preferably within the United Nations. Qualifying years of experience are calculated following the date of receipt of a high-school diploma or the equivalent certification.
Knowledge of languages:
Fluency in oral and written English.
How to apply
UN staff members with regular appointments are requested to apply online on the UN Intranet: “UNOG Vacancies”, and send their last Performance Appraisal (PAS) to the Secretariat of the Central Review Bodies, room 243.
External candidates are requested to complete the “Personal History Form” (PHP) (available on the Internet from https://inspira.un.org (register now)and submit it, mentioning the vacancy announcement number, to the Secretariat of the Central Review Panel, Human Resources Management Service, room 243, 8-14, avenue de la Paix, 1211 Geneva 10, or by fax, no. (022) 9170074. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Due to the high volume of applications, no letters of acknowledgment will be sent. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. Only the selected candidate will be notified of the result of the competition.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations-chapter 3, article 8 ).
THE UNITED NATIONS IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS.
- Disaster Risk Management