International efforts for industrial and chemical accidents prevention, preparedness and response
The brochure has been prepared by the Inter-Agency Coordination Group for Industrial and Chemical Accidents. The Inter-Agency Coordination Group is an informal forum that brings together international organizations and institutions working on the prevention of, preparedness for and response to industrial and chemical accidents. The Inter-Agency Coordination Group aims to:
- Strengthen international cooperation for improving the prevention of, preparedness for and response to chemical and industrial accidents;
- Improve the use of resources and avoid potential duplication of work across the agencies;
- Facilitate understanding and coordination of the programmes of each agency;
- Carry a common message to the international community on the importance of the prevention, preparedness and response to chemical accidents as being among the key elements associated with the sound management of chemicals.
Regular participants in the group include representatives of the European Commission, the United Nations Environment Programme/United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Joint Environment Unit, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, the United Nations Environment Programme and the World Health Organization. The European Process Safety Centre also participates as an observer, providing expertise on specific topics.
This brochure aims to present the specificities of the work of these international organizations and institutions for the prevention of, preparedness for and response to chemical and industrial accidents. It also gives examples of joint activities across the organizations.
- 34 p.
- Disaster Risk Management
- Technical Disaster, NBC - Nuclear, Biological, Chemical