Technical guidance for monitoring and reporting on progress in achieving the global targets of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (New edition)
NEW: Updated version (ver 1.1) will be available soon with more practical information including screenshots of the online monitoring system (https://sendaimonitor.unisdr.org/).
Collection of Technical Notes on Data and Methodology
On 2 February 2017, in adopting Resolution A/RES/71/276, the United Nations General Assembly endorsed the Report of the Open-ended Intergovernmental Expert Working Group on Indicators and Terminology Related to Disaster Risk Reduction (A/71/644), and the recommendations for indicators and terminology relating to disaster risk reduction contained therein.
In the Report of the OIEWG, Member States requested the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) to undertake technical work and provide technical guidance inter alia to:
- Develop minimum standards and metadata for disaster-related data, statistics and analysis with the engagement of national government focal points, national disaster risk reduction offices, national statistical offices, the Department of Economic and Social Affairs and other relevant partners.
- Develop methodologies for the measurement of indicators and the processing of statistical data with relevant technical partners.
This document is a preliminary draft for consultation, developed in response to the request of Member States. It builds on the recommendations and deliberations of Member States in the OIEWG, on the technical documentation produced by the Secretariat at the request of Members of the working group, on the deliberations of the Inter-agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators (IAEG-SDGs), and on technical consultations with Member States and experts since the submission of the Report of the OIEWG and the Report of the Inter-agency and Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goal Indicators (E/CN.3/2017/2).
The document provides technical suggestions and considerations of Member States, relevant technical partners and the UNISDR in respect of applicable definitions and terminology, possible computation methodologies, data standards and critical issues.
The purpose of this document is to support the refinement and finalization of the technical guidance for countries reporting on the indicators to monitor achievement of the global targets of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030.
The refinement and finalization of the technical guidance took place throughout 2017 together with Member States and relevant technical partners, for which dedicated events were organised by UNISDR, including a technical working meeting that took place at the 2017 Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in Mexico on 26 May 2017.
The first cycle of monitoring using the online Sendai Framework Monitor began in January 2018, and exceptionally covers the two biennia 2015-2016 and 2017-2018.
- View document (Arabic) [PDF 3.75 MB]
- View document (Chinese) [PDF 2.51 MB]
- View document (English) [PDF 5.00 MB]
- View document (French) [PDF 2.99 MB]
- View document (Russian) [PDF 4.35 MB]
- View document (Spanish) [PDF 6.43 MB]
- 180 p.
- Information Management, Governance