Global volcanic hazards and risk: Technical background paper
This report contains a synopsis of volcanism from a hazard and risk perspective and highlights the wide range of hazards posed by volcanoes and describes their diverse impacts on communities. This technical report complements a shorter summary background paper focussed on the GAR15 agenda and designed for a wider non-technical readership.
The document identifies three key pillars for the reduction of volcanic risk (pp. 72-76):
- Identify areas and assets at risk, and quantify the hazard and the risk.
- Strengthen local to national coping capacity and implement risk mitigation measures.
- Strengthen national and international coping capacity.
This document is a background paper of the 2015 Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Andreastuti, S.; Aspinall, W.; Auker, M.R.; Baptie, B.; Barclay, J.; Baxter, P.; Biggs, J.; Calder, E.S.; Costa, A.; Cottrell, E.; Crosweller, S.; Daud, S.; Delgado-Granados, H.; Deligne, N.I.; Ewert, J.; Felton, C.; Gottsman, J.; Hincks, T.; Horwell, C.;
- 233 p.
- Disaster Risk Management, Small Island Developing States (SIDS)
- Congo, Dem Rep of the, Ecuador, Indonesia, Italy, New Zealand, Guadeloupe, Montserrat