Synthesis of the status and trends with the development of early warning systems
This paper addresses five primary objectives:
- document country, regional and global coordinated initiatives for development of Early Warning Systems (EWS) underpinned by the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA);
- assess the current state of implementation of EWS at the country level spanning governance, key drivers (e.g., risk-based), institutional coordination (local, national and international), sectoral penetration, and operational and technical aspects;
- assess current state of (sub) regional efforts, for development of inter-operable national EWS;
- evaluate different approaches among countries and fundamental principles that have led to the implementation of effective EWS, irrespective of different governance and institutional structures and socio-economic and cultural aspects as a way to develop a framework for monitoring and measuring performance at the country level;
- latest trends and expected future developments of EWS.
- Golnaraghi, Maryam; Douris, James; Luther, Jochen; Maximuk, Lynn; Aliagha, Bernardo
- 63 p.
- Early Warning, Governance, Disaster Risk Management
VI Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Americas, Cartagena, Colombia 20-22 June 2018.