The business case for disaster risk reduction: Final report
This document reports on the Private sector forum: Making the business case for disaster risk reduction (DRR), held on 13-14 January 2015 in Suva, Fiji. It identifies the following main outcomes:
- (i) Fijian business shared several good practices in disaster risk management;
- (ii) Critical infrastructure entities in Fiji requested additional practical help from UNISDR to strengthen their disaster risk management;
- (iii) The Fijian private sector agreed to work towards a ‘one-stop shop’ website for business contingency planning to reduce disaster risk;
- (iv) The tourism sector requested further UNISDR collaboration as it works to protect its businesses and the customers they serve;
- (v) The important role of engineering and the engineering community to strengthen national resilience was highlighted;
- (vi) The insurance sector offered increased partnership to private business to strengthen their disaster risk management;
- (vii) The forum boosted the already healthy state of public-private partnerships to reduce disaster risk in Fiji;
- (viii) The Business Case for Disaster Risk Reduction was emphatically made in Fiji; and
- (ix) UNISDR’s Global Education and Training Institute for DRR (GETI) was accepted as a relevant partner in future efforts to strengthen resilience.
- 15 p.
- Capacity Development, Education & School Safety, Private Sector, Insurance & Risk Transfer, Disaster Risk Management, Structural Safety, Critical Infrastructure, Small Island Developing States (SIDS)
The Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction 2018, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia 3-6 July 2018.