Second Caribbean Ministerial Forum on School Safety
- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction – Regional Office for the Americas (UNDRR AM); Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA); Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS); United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF); United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Headquarters (UNESCO)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - government
- 29-30 Apr 2019
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines (Kingstown)
The Second Caribbean Ministerial School Safety Forum will be hosted by the Ministry of Education, National Reconciliation, Ecclesiastical Affairs and Information in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 29 and 30 April 2019 in Kingstown. This Forum will be organized by the Ministry in close collaboration with the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (Unicef), the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The organization of the Forum is possible thanks to the financial support by the Department of the European Commission for Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO).
Objectives and Expected Outcomes
The Second Ministerial Forum on School Safety in the Caribbean is a follow-up on the Forum held in April 2017. It will respond to the need for a collaborative and coordinated approach among actors in the region’s education sector. It will contribute to: CDEMA’s Regional Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Strategy and Programming Framework 2014-2024; UNISDR’s Worldwide Initiative for Safe Schools (WISS); Caribbean Safe School Initiative; the Samoa Action Plan for SIDS, the Global Action Program on Education for Sustainable Development; the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, and to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The forum will be linked to a youth forum “My Island, my life” to identify safety issues around the 3 pillars and presenting the conclusions and recommendations to the Ministerial Forum; depending on funding the youth forum will be national or regional in scope.
The forum will be based on the sustainability principles with green measure to reduce the carbon foot print (such as reduce the use of printed material, no plastic in catering service among others).
To update the Caribbean Regional Roadmap on school safety
To facilitate adherence to the Antigua and Barbuda Declaration on School Safety and Regional Roadmap implementation by additional member states.
To monitor progress and achievements in the implementation of the Caribbean Regional Roadmap on School Safety
To promote and raise awareness of the World Initiative on Safe Schools and the Caribbean Schools Safety Initiative
To promote the engagement of Youth in the CSSI
To facilitate a Ministerial Dialogue with donors on support for the Caribbean Safe Schools Initiative
Caribbean Regional Roadmap on Schools Safety Updated
Adherence to the Antigua and Barbuda Declaration on School Safety by additional member states
Progress report on the implementation of the Caribbean Regional Road map on School Safety
Awareness of the Caribbean School Safety initiative and the World Initiative on School Safety raised
Youth contributions to the Caribbean Regional Road map on School Safety harnessed
Donor support for the Caribbean Safe Schools Initiative identified
Inputs for the Global Platform 2019 and Regional Platform 2020 defined
New Chair of the Caribbean Safe Schools Initiative and next host state identified
The Forum is primarily targeting Ministries of Education, Ministers themselves, as well as technical advisors; national disaster management agencies will also be invited if funding is secured. In addition, regional organizations that support the implementation of School Safety in the Caribbean will be invited.
Although it is noted that relevant work has been undertaken by many Caribbean countries in enhancing School Safety, the Forum will focus on CDEMA Participating States and other countries in the Caribbean
- Concept Note [PDF 491.43 kB]
- Note de Synthese - Second Forum Ministériel Caribéen sur la Sécurité Scolaire [PDF 407.29 kB]
- Nota Conceptual Segundo Foro Ministerial sobre Seguridad Escolar del Caribe [PDF 510.39 kB]
- Media Kit [PDF 935.59 kB]
- Logistics Note II Ministerial Forum on School Safety [PDF 287.55 kB]
- Nota Logistica - Segundo Foro Ministerial sobre Seguridad Escolar del Caribe [PDF 288.14 kB]
- Note Logistique - IIème Forum Caribéen Ministériel sur la Sécurité des Écoles [PDF 293.50 kB]
- Agenda_ESP [PDF 421.02 kB]
- Ordre du Jour [PDF 438.17 kB]
- Agenda_ENG [PDF 473.25 kB]
- Youth Resolution for the Second Ministerial Forum on School Safety [PDF 567.85 kB]
- Résolution de la jeunesse au 2e forum ministériel sur la sécurité scolaire dans les Caraïbes FR [PDF 542.36 kB]
- Resolución de la Juventud para el 2do Foro Ministerial sobre Seguridad Escolar en el Caribe FR [PDF 557.48 kB]
- Annex to the Declaration of Antigua and Barbuda+6 [PDF 112.02 kB]
- Anexo a la Declaración de Antigua y Barbuda+6 [PDF 91.82 kB]
- Annexe à la Déclaration d'Antigua-et-Barbuda sur la sécurité scolaire [PDF 92.86 kB]
- Photos of the Second Ministerial Forum on School Safety
- Graphic Recording - Caribbean Safe School Initiative - Second Ministerial Forum Day 1 [JPG 2.26 MB]
- Graphic Recording - Updating the Caribbean Road Map on School Safety [JPG 1.60 MB]
- Education & School Safety, Disaster Risk Management, Small Island Developing States (SIDS)
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines