2017 European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction Open Forum (2017 EFDRR Open Forum)
- Meeting or Conference
- European and Mediterranean Major Hazards Agreement (EUR-OPA); European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction (EFDRR); Prime Ministry, Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD)
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Regional Office for Europe (UNDRR ROE); European Commission Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection DG (ECHO)
- 26-28 Mar 2017
- Turkey (Istanbul)
- Hilton Istanbul Bosphorus
- English, Turkish, French, Russian
- With live translation:
- Info on live translation:
- Translation to international sign language will be available.
The Regional Platform for Disaster risk Reduction in Europe, namely the European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction is the multi-stakeholder forum for disaster risk community in Europe and brings together Governments, the UN, parliamentarians, mayors, intergovernmental organizations, scientific and academic institutions, private businesses, NGOs, community based organizations and others. The event will take place in Istanbul, Turkey from 26 to 28 March 2017.
The 2017 meeting chaired by the Government of Turkey aims to reinforce political commitment generate solutions and partnership as well as address the carrying out of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. The 2017 EFDRR Open Forum will take stock of progress in implementing the Sendai Framework in Europe and will identify measures to accelerate the reduction of disasters.
The EFDRR is supported by a secretariat formed by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, the European Commission and the Council of Europe. The event will have as outcomes: a Regional Platform Chair's Summary, High-Level Communique of the High-Level session, Recommendations of the Europe Region for the 2017 Global Platform and Turkish laureate of the Damir Cemenerin Award for Local Change.
The 2017 EFDRR Open Forum happens less than two month before the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (22-26 May 2017, Cancun, Mexico) and therefore presents a great opportunity to gather Europe preparatory considerations.
The agenda is structured around: High Level Session: Creating incentives for Disaster Risk Reduction, Featured Event: Risk Governance – How to achieve the Sendai Target e) – risk informed national and local DRR strategies by 2020; Technical Sessions (6): - Economic Risk Management in DRR - Land-use planning and management practices at the local level - Critical Infrastructure for Resilient Communities - Risk Assessment and Disaster Loss Database - Bridging disaster risk reduction and climate change for a sustainable future - Migration; Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience.
All relevant information and registration for the 2017 EFDRR Open Forum can be found at the event website below.
English, French, Turkish and Russian simultaneous translation will be offered throughout the entire meeting. Furthermore, the meeting is accessible for persons with disabilities and translation to international sign language will be available.
- EFDRR Survey Report [PDF 585.55 kB]
- 2017 EFDRR Open Forum - Istanbul Outcomes
- 2017 EFDRR Open Forum - High-Level Dialogue Communiqué
- Governance, Disaster Risk Management