- Meeting or Conference
- Mehran University of Engineering & Technology, Water Resource Engineering Department, MUET Jamshoro Sindh ) (MUET)
- Other organizer:
- Research and Development Foundation (RDF)
- 28-30 Apr 2015
- Pakistan (Jamshoro, Sindh)
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Jamshoro
Climate change is no longer an issue for the distant future but a hard reality already taking place. An estimated figure of up to a billion people in Asia are said to be adversely affected by global climate change. Asians accounted for 89% of the 207 million people affected by disasters last year, according to the Belgium-based Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). An estimated figure of up to a billion people in Asia are said to be adversely affected by global climate change. Asians accounted for 89% of the 207 million people affected by disasters last year, according to the Belgium-based Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). The figure is on rise as natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods continue to occur in the wider region with greater frequency than ever before.
Within Asia, the South Asian countries, particularly the poorest people, are most at risk and likely to feel some of the worst effects of global warming including acute water shortages, hunger and the continent's rivers running low. Climate change impacts such as lower crop production and extreme weather patterns (higher temperatures and more variable precipitation) have had severe effects, which have also exacerbated existing vulnerabilities posing a threat to throw the countries back into the poverty trap. There have been concerns over a potential decline in wheat and rice yields by 50% and 17% respectively, in South Asia. Coastal cities will be increasingly vulnerable to sea-level rise, as well as flooding and storm surges due to unpredictable weather patterns.
The Conference Objectives are:
- to provide learning sharing forum and strengthen the effective participation of civil society and public sector in climate related activities through sharing knowledge and research;
- to strengthen collaboration among stakeholders on issues of climate change and its impacts;
- to create strong linkages among national, regional and international organizations working on climate change;
- Capacity Development, Civil Society/NGOs, Climate Change