- Meeting or Conference
- International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University (IRIDeS)
- Other organizer:
- Center for Disaster and Humanitarian Assistance Medicine (CDHAM); Children's National Health System; George Washington University; Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- 21-22 May 2014
- United States of America (Washington D.C. )
- George Washington University Marvin Center
This symposium has been developed to research and provide urgent medical and public health related inputs for the "Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction" which will be discussed in the 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction Sendai City/ Japan.
The symposium will focus on health-specific disaster risk reduction proposals to be discussed in five work groups. Each work group will identify existing gaps in the HFA related to their health topic, and produce realistic recommendations for consideration in the Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction at the 3rd World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction Sendai City/ Japan.
The 2-day symposium is designed to provide collaborative sessions on five topics to produce tangible inputs into the Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction process. At the conclusion of the conference, working groups will present their findings to an open forum for discussion and approval of recommendations.
The five topics for discussion and recommendations include:
- Frameworks and policies relating to medical preparedness and health management in disasters.
- Health planning for all phases of a disaster including risk assessment with concern for vulnerable populations.
- Psychosocial/ mental health concerns and building community resilience.
- Health infrastructure and logistics for disaster preparedness, including resources and funding.
- Development of evidence-based technical guidance and education / training programs for the advancement of health and disaster risk management capabilities
The organizers, together with partners, practitioners, and distinguished researchers of disaster medicine and public health from the global arena will be invited to participate. The symposium will invite position papers focusing on health-specific disaster risk reduction proposals to be discussed in five work groups. It is anticipated that each work group will identify existing gaps in the HFA related to their health topic, and produce realistic recommendations for consideration at the 2015 meeting.
How to register
Registration information will be available soon.
First day of the Symposium will be work group sessions and participants will be invited by the organizing committee and work group leaders. There is no open registration for this session.
The second day is open to all participants and registration will be done via webpage.
- Health & Health Facilities, Disaster Risk Management
- United States of America