- Meeting or Conference
- National Disaster Management Centre (South Africa) (NDMC)
- Other organizer:
- Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA)
- 14-15 Oct 2013
- South Africa (Limpopo Province, Sekhukhune District)
- Greater Tubatse LM: Ntoampe Sports Centre
10:00-16:00 each day
Living with Disability and Disasters
Persons with disabilities are among the most excluded in society, and their plight is magnified when a disaster strikes.
Not only are they less likely to receive the aid they need during a humanitarian crisis, they are also less likely to recover in the long-term. This year, the International Day for Disaster Reduction focuses on the approximately one billion people who live with some form of disability, and their vulnerabilities to disaster.
The objective of the international day for disaster reduction is therefore to highlight that:
- A disaster resilient planet means everyone must be part of the solution.
- Decisions and policies to reduce disaster risks must reflect the needs of persons with disabilities.
- Investment in disaster risk reduction must provide for the needs of persons with disabilities.
- Capacity Development, Risk Identification & Assessment, Governance, Economics of DRR, Disaster Risk Management, Vulnerable Populations
- South Africa