- Training Course
- Watershed Organisation Trust (WOTR)
- 18-21 Feb 2014
- India (Maharashtra)
- Darewadi Learning Centre
Village Darewadi, block, Dist. Sangamner, Ahmednagar
- English, Hindi/Marathi
Livelihoods in a changing environment experience varying degrees of vulnerability due to climatic, economic and socio-cultural factors. Most forms of primary livelihoods are dependent on local resources which are getting scarce, and are under pressure from global forces and demographic changes. They are also under threat from variations in climate that manifest as non- normal and extreme weather events.
Rural Livelihoods have been primarily reduced to income generating activities. While these increase the inflow of money, rarely do we capture or account for the outflow of money from these primary livelihoods. A continuous and high outflow of money and resources from a village leads to little or no local wealth generation. Such livelihoods keep villages dependent. They are vulnerable to price spikes, to a volatile economic environment and to climate related risks.
There is an urgent need to understand multi-dimensional – especially resource based – vulnerability, in order to develop bottom-up, climate adaptive livelihoods.
This program will sensitize the participants to understand local money flows. The use of this tool will guide the participant /user to assess climate and other vulnerabilities that affect livelihoods of a village, and will guide towards activities that will be more resilient, and thus towards sustainable livelihoods.
What will you gain from the programme?
- An understanding of the economic vulnerability of a village, in terms of money generating livelihoods while circulating within.
- Methods to assess wealth generating local livelihoods to improve adaptive capacities.
- A practical framework “CoDriVE – LIVELIHOODS” to assess the strength/vulnerability of selected livelihood activities as affected by climatic factors and risks from market forces
- Develop ‘hands–on’ experience of using the tool to assess vulnerability of livelihoods.
- Double exposure: Climate change, market forces
- Rural livelihoods vulnerability towards this double exposure
- Assessing climate and economic vulnerability: Brief description of tools and methodology for application
- Field visit and hands-on experience in applying the CoDriVE – LIVELIHOODS tool
- Case studies and practical exercises
Event feeRs. 9,000
What is included in the event fee
The course fee covers the costs of lodging, boarding, course material and field visit travel expenses. Travel costs to and fro to the venue will have to be borne by the participants. Costs of any other contingencies including medical expenses arising during the training course will be borne by the participant.
For those working towards making rural livelihoods viable. It is of immense value to Project Planners and designers, NGO Decision Makers, NGO Staff, Government Officers and other institutions working in the area of creating local livelihoods.
- Climate Change, Environment & Ecosystems, Social Impacts & Social Resilience, Vulnerable Populations