- Training Course
- Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM)
- 19 Jan 2013
- United States of America (NewYork, Kingston)
- The Omega Institute for Sustainable Living, Rhinebeck, NY (Part II: Agroforestry Resource Center, Acra, NY; Part III: Cornell Cooperative Extension in Ulster County)
The NYS Master Watershed Steward Program is an educational extension program developed by Cornell University Cornell Cooperative Extension that empowers citizens of New York to take action to be part of the solution to the watershed problems throughout the State. As part of the training program, experts will cover relevant topics including: watershed planning, floodplain management, best management practices to address watershed problems, stakeholder engagement, and much more. During the training workshop, the apprenticeship projects will be described.
The NY Master Watershed Steward Program contains a mix of face-to-face sessions along with distance learning and a hands-on project. Participants complete a series of online lesson modules that include readings, assignments, and discussion over a 7-month period. Face-to- face meetings promote networking and allow opportunities to pursue specialized topics in-depth. Each participant completes a learning project on a topic of special interest. Graduates of the NY Master Watershed Steward earn a Professional Certificate in Watershed Management.
- Session 1: June 16-17, 2012, Omega Institute (Dutchess County; directions)
- Session 2: October 20, 2012, Agroforestry Resource Center, Acra, NY (Greene County)
- Session 3: January 26, CCE Ulster County Office, 232 Plaza Road, Kingston
Participants complete a series of in-person and online lesson modules that include readings, assignments, and discussion over a 7-month period. There will be three mandatory in-person sessions:
- June 16-17, 2012, Rhinebeck, NY
- October 20, 2012, Acra, NY
- January 26, 2013, Kingston, NY
Additional in-person sessions may be necessary for particular elective modules selected by the participant. Each participant completes a learning project on a topic of special interest. Graduates of the NY Master Watershed Steward Program earn a Professional Certificate in Watershed Management.
Mission of the course
The mission of the New York Master Watershed Steward Program is to strengthen local capacity for successful management and protection of watersheds by empowering volunteers.
What is included in the event feeIncludes training, materials, and food; lodging is an additional fee.
Target audienceAll are welcome
How to register
For more information please contact Shorna Allred, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist, at (607) 255-2149 or email@example.com.
- United States of America