- Training Course
- Center for Sustainable Development (CSDi)
- 16 Jan - 11 Mar 2013
- 29 Oct - 16 Dec 2013
- 04 Mar - 28 Apr 2014
- 09 Sep - 03 Nov 2014
- 02 Feb - 30 Mar 2015
- 05 Sep - 30 Oct 2017
It is estimated that over 70% of all disasters are now related to extreme weather events. Because of this, disaster risk reduction should become an integral part of both development and adaptation projects.
The solutions that students have been developing activities for their projects include:
- land management plans
- watershed/forest restorations
- community-based disaster preparedness and risk reduction programs
- community-based flood mitigation programs
- community-based flash flood and landslide prevention programs
- advocacy programs for obtaining government support
- consciousness-raising among community members about DRR challenges
- early warning systems
- training teams in evacuation, and search and rescue
- identifying and prioritizing mitigation strategies
Course participants then conduct capacity building workshops on these new DRR practices that are appropriate for the community. Students analyze disaster related risks and facilitate the development of a community-based DRR committee for developing a DRR plan that includes DRR consciousness raising, an early warning system, organizing specialized DRR teams, and a risk reduction and mitigation workshop for community members.
Event feeUS$ 100-150
Target audienceStudents, all different ages, genders and professions—and have included Northern and Southern staff from INGOs, field staff from in-country NGOs, donors, executive directors, students, scientists, consultants and people who would like to transition into development work. Northern participants who don't have community access are partnered with Southern participants that do have community access.
How to registerPlease contact Online.Learning@csd-i.org
Please don’t sign up for this course if you haven’t successfully completed the prerequisites. Prerequisites are absolute: please do not ask us for an exception.
there are only 2 steps for enrolling in the course:
1. Pay the course fee.
2. Fill out the Student Information form.
- Capacity Development, Community-based DRR, Early Warning, Risk Identification & Assessment, Water
- Flood, Land Slide