- Training Course
- Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Standing committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation) (OIC)
- 15-17 Jan 2013
- Pakistan (Islamabad)
- COMSTECH Secretariat, 33-Constitution Avenue, G-5/2
Disaster is serious disruption of functioning of a community or a society involving widespread human, material, economic or environmental losses and impacts, which exceeds the ability of the affected community or society, to cope using its own resources. Disaster risk is the potential loss in lives, health status, livelihood, assets and services, which could occur to a particular community or a society over some specified future time.
Disaster Risk Reduction is the concept of reducing disaster risk through systematic analysis and management of the causal factors of disaster. This can be achieved through reduced exposure to hazards, lessened vulnerability of people and property, wise management of land and the environment, and improved preparedness for adverse events. Climate change, urbanization and industrialization have resulted in tremendous increase in the disasters all over the world. OIC member states are signatories to The Hygo Framework for Action 2005-2015 (HFA), and have an obligation to address issues relating to disasters, associated risks and their management.
COMSTECH invites applications from OIC member states for participation in an international workshop on “Disaster Management and Risk Reduction”. The workshop will provide an opportunity for scientists, disaster managers and policy makers to share knowledge and benefit from experts in the field.
- To enhance technical knowledge of the young faculty members and MPhil/PhD scholars in the area of disaster management, and risk reduction.
- To orient planners to have an inbuilt mechanism at planning stage, to save the heavy investment.
- To increase administrator’s competency and coping capability, to mobilize communities during disasters.
- To update administrators, managers and policy makers about the role of United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), for seeking assistance during and after disasters.
Natural disaster management organizations and hierarchy of Pakistan and OIC member states, National and International NGOs, Public and private sector institutes/universities and other organizations.
How to register
Step 1: Download application form here.
Step 2: Submit completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or fax it to +92-51-9205264.
Step 3: You will receive an acceptance email soon after the application deadline, if you are selected for the workshop.
Step 4: Local participants will be required to deposit registration fee of PKR 2,500 through demand draft in favor of COMSTECH by the deadline mentioned in the acceptance email/letter. Foreign participants will have to deposit their registration fee of US$ 50 at the time of registration on the first day of the workshop.
Focal Person of the Workshop
Prof. Dr. A.W. Baloch,
Executive Director, Disaster Research Institute (DRI),
Preston University, Islamabad.
Tel: +92 51-4430597-8X (Ext- 209)
E.mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Last Date for Applications: December 3, 2012
For further information, please contact:
Ms. Hanifa Beg
Fax: +92-51-9205264, +92-51-9220265
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Community-based DRR, Governance, Economics of DRR, Disaster Risk Management