- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Development Programme Drylands Development Centre (UNDP DDC)
- 01-02 Oct 2012
- Kenya (Nairobi)
The overall objective of the forum is to provide DRR decision-makers, practitioners and experts with a platform to dialogue, share knowledge and expertise and network to develop a common vision and strengthened partnership towards sustainable drought-resilient development in the Horn of Africa (HoA) specifically as well as at Africa and Asia levels more broadly. The challenge of limited up-/out-scaling of DRR good practices is apparent in most drought affected countries and regions including the HoA. A joint effort is currently ongoing to introduce the broadly applicable and comparable analytical tools through which to measure the socio-economic and environmental impacts of community-level DRR initiatives in short and long terms systematically in quantitative as well as qualitative values. In this context, the specific objectives of the forum are to:
- Review and identify gaps in ongoing studies and analytical efforts to define drought resilience and integrate resilience indicators into DRR impact assessment at different levels;
- Verify collectively the results and findings of the participatory quantitative DRR impact assessment exercise to date and refine the conceptual framework and methodology to fill in gaps and increase its practicality and applicability; and
- Demonstrate compelling evidence of DRR for sustainable drought-resilient development by showcasing various innovative experiences from both Africa and Asia and identify the opportunities for continuous DRR learning and south-south cooperation at local, regional and inter-regional levels.
Target audienceThe forum will bring together a dynamic and diverse set of participants engaged in different aspects of drought risk reduction (DRR) issues in Africa and Asia, which encompass policymakers, NGO/CSO practitioners, researchers, development partners and donor communities.
How to registerFor more information on the forum, please contact email@example.com.
- Community-based DRR, Risk Identification & Assessment, Governance, Economics of DRR