- Meeting or Conference
- Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology of Malaysia (ASM); International Council for Science, Regional Office for Asia Pacific) (ICSU); International Science, Technology and Innovation Centre for South-South Cooperation (ISTIC); Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI); Pacific Science Association (PSA)
- 14-18 Jun 2011
- Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
- Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre
The Congress provides a multidisciplinary platform for scientists from the region to assess and prioritize issues requiring scientific research; brings together scientists from more remote states; catalyzes international and cross-disciplinary collaboration; and is a venue to establish and announce new research initiatives.
The overall theme of the PSC-22 is: "Asia Pacific Science in the 21st Century: Meeting the Challenges of Global Change". Subthemes of the Congress are:
1. A Changing Climate: Climate science; Physical impacts; Ecosystem responses; Mitigation and adaptation strategies; Climate policies; Vulnerable human populations
2. Global Change & Ecosystems: Biodiversity; Landscape systems; Ecosystem services; Coupled human-natural systems; Invasive species; Museum collections and barcoding
3. Oceans: Coral reefs; Ocean acidification; Large Marine Ecosystems, Marine biotechnology; Fisheries, Marine mammals
4. Earth Systems & Risk Management: Earth science and geophysics; Meteorology; Natural hazards; Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction
5. Globalization: Human populations; Population movement; Urbanization; Megacities; Gender; Economics and trade; Governance issues; Challenges of small island states; Human security; Poverty alleviation
6. Resource Constraints & Sustainability: Millennium Development Goals; Water; Agriculture; Food; Energy; Integrated Coastal Zone Management; Ecological economics
7. Health Challenges: Persistent and emerging infectious diseases; HIV/AIDS; Chronic and lifestyle diseases; Microbiology; Medical tourism; Telemedicine
8. Science for Policy and the Future: Science communication; Science education; Building science capacity; Science and the media; Traditional knowledge; Data access and management; Intellectual property; Universality of science; Frontiers of science (complexity science, materials science, biotechnology)
Event feeUSD 100-550
Target audienceThe geographic scope of the Congress is the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean and the islands of the Pacific Basin. Recent Pacific Science Congresses have hosted between 1000-2000 participants from 40 to 50 countries in Asia, the Pacific Islands, Australia/New Zealand, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
How to registerThe preferred method of registration is online registration. The deadline for online registration is 18 May 2011. Registrants are urged to register before 31 March 2011 to obtain the early-bird registration fee. All the terms and conditions and method of payments are listed in the website.
- Climate Change, Environment & Ecosystems, Governance, Disaster Risk Management