The UNISDR Sub-Regional Office for the Pacific is based in Suva, Fiji to support Governments in their efforts to implement the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, principally through United Nations Resident Coordinators, United Nations Country Teams operating out of Fiji, Samoa and Papua New Guinea, and Regional Intergovernmental Organizations, such as the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP) and other members of the Pacific Disaster Risk Management Partnership Network.
The UNISDR Sub-Regional Office for the Pacific provides the following services:
- Advise on the implementation of and monitoring progress towards the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 - within the overall context of the Pacific Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management;
- Fostering of strategic partnerships with the disaster risk management and climate change communities in the Pacific towards an integrated approach;
- Advocacy for the inclusion of disaster risk reduction at policy and decision-making levels for an informed and coherent approach by UNISDR system partners when supporting country and regional efforts to mainstream disaster risk reduction into development planning and budgetary processes;
- Linking national and regional disaster risk management policy and priorities with the core mechanisms of the UNISDR system, such as the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, for a greater recognition of the specific challenges and potential of Pacific islands states at the international level;
- Co-convening the Pacific Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Management with the the Pacific Community (SPC);
- Supporting the documentation and exchange of lessons learned and good practices in the Sendai Framework implementation at the regional/national level between the Pacific and other regions as appropriate;
- Build awareness of disaster reduction benefits and the importance of reducing community vulnerability through targeted advocacy campaigns and the commemoration of the International Day for Disaster Reduction.