This country is covered by UNDRR's Europe office.This risk profile is currently being updated with new data from the 2013 Global Risk Update.
Sendai Framework, National Platform, Hyogo Framework for Action
Dirección General de Protección Civil y Emergencias
Phone: +34 915 373 266
Institutional Structure / National Platform Description
In October 1990 the National Commission for Civil Protection was attributed the function of the Spanish Committee for the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR) (Royal Decree 1301/1990). In September 2002, two years after the phasing-out of the IDNDR, the Commission was nominated as the Spanish Committee for the ISDR (Royal Decree 967/2002).
The National Commission for Civil Protection is an inter-ministerial institution dependent on the Ministry of Interior. It consists of the following members:
- Chair: Minister of Interior
- Vice Chair: Undersecretary of the Ministry of Interior
- Secretary: Director-General of Civil Protection
Other members are representatives of the following authorities and political subdivisions:
- Economy (1)
- Science and Technology (1)
- Public Works (1)
- Education (1)
- Culture and Sports (1)
- Labour and Social Affairs (1)
- Agriculture, Fisheries and Alimentation (1)
- Public Administration (1)
- Health and Consumers (1)
- Treasury (1)
- Office of Prime Minister (1)
- General Secretary of the Prime Minister (1)
- Ministry of Environment (2)
- Ministry of Defense (2)
- Ministry of Interior (4)
- Council for Nuclear Security (1)
- Autonomous Communities (each 1)
- Cities of Ceuta and Melilla (each 1)
- Ministry of External Relations (1) (only if the commission functions as the Spanish ISDR-committee)
As indicated by the list of members most departments of the central government are involved. Due to the participation of representatives from the different political subdivisions, different levels of administration can be reached (central, regional, local).
The Directorate General for Civil Protection serves as the technical secretariat of the commission and as such guarantees for the adequate implementation of adopted agreements, the preparation and distribution of documents, and the necessary coordination between the different technical commissions and working groups. The Directorate disposes of a National Civil Protection School (ENPC), which serves as the national academy for civil protection in Spain. The EPNC offers practical and theoretical training courses and workshops.
- Be informed about criteria, directives and initiatives of the public administrations related to disaster risk prevention and mitigation.
- Promote initiatives from the different public administrations and the private sector to implement actions, which contribute to theimprovement of disaster risk prevention and mitigation.
- Promote the development of a preventive social culture related to disaster risk.
- Be informed about and disseminate information on the programmes, reports, directives and recommendations issued by the institutions of the UN or ISDR.
- Promote the participation and coordination of different public administrations, private entities and specialized personnel in international cooperation projects related to disaster prevention and mitigation
Realization of studies with respect to risk analysis as well as pilot projects with preventive character, which support disaster and emergency prevention planning.
- Preparation of construction norms and guidelines for behavior aiming at prevision, prevention, civil protection and emergency planning with respect to different hazards (heat/cold waves, thunder storms, droughts, inundations, storms, earth/seaquakes, volcanic eruptions).
- Risk mapping
- Development of studies and programmes with respect to information of the population, promotion of self-protection capabilities, support of civil participation in civil protection activities and development of school education programmes regarding disaster prevention.
- Implementation of theoretical and practical training courses and workshops related to disaster risk prevention, risk analysis and emergency management (via ENPC).
- Development of a simulation programme for earthquake impacts on a municipal basis (SES 2002) in cooperation with the National Geographic Institute.
- Implementation of an education programme for forest fire prevention focusing on young people at school age (component of the worldwide disaster prevention campaign of ISDR "Disaster Reduction begins at school 2006-2007") including online material for professional training of teachers.
HFA Progress Reports
- Spain: National progress report on the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action (2013-2015) - Interim 2015 | Dirección General de Protección Civil y Emergencias, Spain - gov
- Spain: National Report in preparation for WCDR (2004) 2004 | Spain - government
Other Policy, Plans & Statements
Policy & Plans
- Spain: Plan nacional adaptación al cambio climático (versión completa) 2006 | Spain - government
- Spain: National climate change adaptation plan (condensed version) 2006 | Spain - government
- Spain: Plan director de la cooperacion Española 2013-2016 2012 | Spain - government
Official Statements & Presentations
- Spain: Statement made at the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (2017) 2017 | Spain - government
- Spain: Statement made at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) 2015 | Spain - government
- Spain: Statement made at the Preparatory Committee (PrepCom 2) of the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (2014) 2014 | Spain - government
Other Development Reports
- 44.3 million
- GDP 2007:
- 716.4 billion USD
UNDRR EuropeBouldevard du Régent 37 - 40
Phone: +32 22 902 588
Fax: +32 22 904 950
Partners Publications about Spain
- Consorseguros digital magazine - 10th issue: Environmental liability2019 | Consorseguros, Spain - gov; Consorcio de Compensación de Seguros
- Mapping combined wildfire and heat stress hazards to improve evidence-based decision making2019 | Elsevier
- Natural hazards and disaster risk reduction policies2018 | Uni della Calabria