Mission And Disaster Reduction Profile
Grassroots Organizations Operating Together in Sisterhood
GROOTS operates as a flexible network linking groups in poor rural and urban areas everywhere around the world. It is open to grassroots groups who share a commitment to nurture relationships of mutual support and solidarity among women, helping them in identifying and sharing their successful development approaches and methods globally to strengthen their participation in the development of communities.
Activities in the Campaign
View full Profile in PreventionWeb
- GROOTS and Huairou Commissions have participated since the set out of the Campaign having a member in the campaign Advisory Panel.
- GROOTS was present at the Incheon Conference in August 2009, when the campaign strategy was laid out.
- GROOTS invited community practitioners in national and regional launch events and city learning activities at the World Urban Forum that took place in Rio de Janeiro in 2010.
- GROOTS vast experience with local groups and communities was key to better shape the campaign strategy at an early stage.
- GROOTS participated in the Shanghai Forum for DRR in July 2010, helping identifying tools and good practices in urban resilience.
- GROOTS activities are checked against the 10 essentials for “Making Cities Resilient” campaign.
- GROOTS have launched a DRR campaign in Cantarranas, Honduras promoting the resilient cities principles, developing a methodology of work from their experience with Cantarranas.