- Training Course
- ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability; UNISDR Office for Northeast Asia and Global Education and Training Institute for Disaster Risk Reduction at Incheon (UNISDR ONEA-GETI)
- 11-12 Dec 2017
- China (Beijing)
As climate change gets more obvious, extreme weather conditions and disasters also become more often, like heat surge, floods, droughts, urban heats and hurricanes, all of which pose a big threat on citizens’ well beings and national stability. To better respond, cities are in urgent need to improve their ability in reacting, preventing, preparing, and adapting to these changes. In China, February 2017, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) together with the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MOHURD) issued the notice of developing climate adaptive pilot cities. According to the notice, 28 cities across the country have been selected to formulate adaptation action plans including vulnerability and impact assessment, capacity building, international cooperation, etc. to achieve adaptation goals by 2020.
In this regard, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability, as an international organization with extensive experience in urban resilience/climate change adaptation, is organizing this training workshop to assist Chinese cities in developing local adaptation action plans in cooperation with international and domestic partners.
This training workshop will bring together high-level decision makers, experts, researchers, NGO representatives etc. to exchange knowledge and tools of building urban resilience to climate change. In particular, this training aims to:
- Increase political commitment for urban climate adaptation actions
- Build capacities of government officials at local level
- Facilitate city to city peer learning and international cooperation
- Capacity Development, Community-based DRR, Risk Identification & Assessment, Urban Risk & Planning, Governance, Disaster Risk Management