- Meeting or Conference
- Disaster Risk Reduction Network Philippines (DRRNetPhils); National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Council (NDRRMC)
- Other organizer:
- Assistance and Cooperation for Resilience and Development Inc. (ACCORD); Ateneo de Manila University; Build Change; Center for Community Journalism and Development (CCJD); Center for Disaster Preparedness (CDP); Oxfam - Philippines; World Vision Philippines
- 13 Oct 2017
- Philippines (Quezon City)
- Covered Court, Barangay Sta. Lucia, Novaliches
The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is a day to celebrate how people and communities are reducing their risk to disasters and to promote a global culture of disaster reduction, including disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness. “Home Safe Home” is the slogan for IDDR in 2017 following a year in which 24.2 million new displacements by disasters were recorded by the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre. The main objective of the campaign is to raise global awareness on the effective actions, policies and practices taken by stakeholders to reduce communities’ exposure to disaster risk, thereby contributing to saving homes and livelihoods.
In the ASEAN region, IDDR is celebrated jointly with the ASEAN Day for Disaster Management (ADDM). This year, the theme for ADDM is “Safe and Resilient Communities for Resilient ASEAN” . The theme aims to emphasize the role of the local communities and the people in building resilience by providing a platform where different stakeholders and duty bearers can share experiences, approaches and tools in a spirit of mutual learning and cooperation
At the National Level, the National DRRM Council through the Office of Civil Defense, together with the Disaster Risk Reduction Network Philippines (DRRNet-Phils) is commemorating the IDDR and ADDM celebration with the theme, "Ligtas na Tahanan Tungo sa Matatag na Pamilya at Komunidad”. This half-day celebration is an opportunity for governments, local governments and all stakeholders including the private sector, community groups, civil society organisations, international organisations and academe to promote and advertise best practices on Family Preparedness, School Preparedness and Safe construction for Safer Homes initiatives in the Philippines.
- Civil Society/NGOs, Community-based DRR, Education & School Safety, Advocacy & Media, Governance, Structural Safety, Children and Youth