- Meeting or Conference
- Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre
- 13 Oct 2017
- Australia (Sydney)
- Customs House, 31 Alfred Street
All around the world on 13 October each year the International Day for Disaster Reduction highlights how at risk communities are reducing their exposure to disasters. The CRC will again host a public talk featuring a line up of speakers from diverse fields.
Speakers will explore Australia’s contribution to reducing impacts from a range of natural disasters from several perspectives:
- What are the challenges we face in preparing and responding to natural disasters and how can they be addressed?
- What can we do today to ensure that the impacts are less tomorrow?
- What policies need to be created, better implemented or changed at a national, state and local level?
This year’s event will be held in conjunction with the Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience, with the support of our partner Risk Frontiers.
- Beck Dawson - Chief Resilience Officer, Resilient Sydney
- Jessica Raine - Emergency Management Australia
- Andrew Gissing - Risk Frontiers and Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC
- Feargus O'Connor - Office of Emergency Management NSW
- Tony Jarrett - NSW Rural Fire Service
Also, the NSW Office of Emergency Management will show how its Emergency Risk Management process is rolled out across the state.
To attend the free event, please register here.
- Community-based DRR, Education & School Safety, Urban Risk & Planning
- Cyclone, Heat Wave, Wild Fire