- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Major Group for Children and Youth, Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (UNMGCY)
- Other organizer:
- African Good Governance Network (AGGN)
- 12 Oct 2017
- Germany (Bonn)
- Center for Development Research (ZEF), Genscheralle 3
The UN Major Group for Children and Youth in collaboration with the African Good Governance Network is celebrating the International Day for Disaster Reduction, with the theme "Substantially reducing the number of people affected by disaster: Good governance and the role of youth".
The purpose of this event will be to deliberate on how good governance practiced by the main actors, that is the state, and youth as a strong stakeholder could be capitalised in order to substantially reduce the number of affected people by disasters on the African continent. Thus, the theme for the event will be ‘‘substantially reducing the number of affected people by disasters; good governance and the role of the youth'.
The topical issues to be discussed will touch on:
- Appreciating the ‘behind the scenes’ in all phases of disaster risk reduction/management
- Report on different disasters on the African continent and lessons learnt.
- Year 2030: Possible ways Africa can ensure substantial reduction in the number of affected people by disasters
- Capacity development in disasters risk reduction: role of stakeholders especially the youth.
The event is targeted at a broad range of participants from academia, political organisations and societal representatives to provide a valuable foundation for networking between future African leaders and German institutions, international organisations or stakeholders in the field of disaster risk, youth development and good governance.
To attend, please register here.
- Advocacy & Media, Governance, Children and Youth