- Training Course
- Versed Professional Services Limited (VPSL)
- 16-25 Oct 2017
- Kenya (Nairobi)
- Appleton Resort, Westlands
Climate change and its impacts have become one of the most significant challenges of the 21st century. Climate-related risks, whether concurrent or prospective, need to be addressed swiftly as part of development strategies at all levels.
With population expansion and rapid industrialization in both developed and developing countries, policy-makers need to ensure resilience to the possible exacerbation of risks caused by hydro-meteorological hazards due to climate change. However, understanding the science of climate change and integrating adaption measures into development policies and practices has become a challenge for development and disaster risk reduction practitioners. Illustrating climate risk management in urban and rural settings and focusing on the sectoral challenges, ADPC's training course offers a unique opportunity for these professionals to enhance their knowledge, expertise, and skills on the topic.
In the course, participants will be guided through a series of interactive sessions that will enable them to acquire scientific knowledge to assess and strategically reduce climate risks. The aim of the course is to harmonize climate risk management, disaster risk reduction, and development planning into a holistic approach to sustainable development.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the science, systems and societal issues of climate change, impacts of climate change and their linkages with climate-induced extreme events
- Assess specific sector vulnerabilities to climate change in different settings
- Utilize decision support systems for assessing climate impacts, vulnerabilities and risks and use the tools for designing climate risk management policies, programs, and interventions
- Discuss climate change planning processes for designing climate risk management policies, strategies, programs and interventions
- Identify a menu of options for climate risk management to a given context
- Share good practices and lessons learned on climate risk management (CRM) from different contexts
- Develop hands-on skills on how to develop a CRM initiative using the existing knowledge in an innovative learning environment
- Capacity Development, Climate Change, Disaster Risk Management