- Training Course
- Versed Professional Services Limited (VPSL)
- 18-22 Sep 2017
- Kenya (Nairobi)
- Appleton Resort, Westlands
Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have improved prospects for solving technical problems through the use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) for hazard mapping and modeling, the use of web-based data sources to facilitate research on disaster management and the use of searchable databases for hazard information. Not all Caribbean countries, however, have been able to fully utilize these opportunities.
This course aims to impact practical skills on how to use GIS, to overcome the major challenges faced in all phases of disaster management.
Who is this training intended for?
The training is intended for professionals working in development areas mostly in DRM related fields.
Upon completion of the training, the participants will be able to describe and utilize spatial data through manipulating it in the phases of pre-disaster, during disaster and post-disaster.
Module: 1 Disaster Management Concepts and Institutional Framework
Module: 2 Introduction to Geoinformatics
- Remote Sensing
- Geographic Information System
- Global Positioning Systems
- Mobile Data Collection
- Introducing GIS functions using QGIS
- Preparation of Earthquake Hazard Map
Module: 3 Applications of Geoinformation
- Disaster Scope, Examples & Advancements
- Introduction to Quantum GIS (open source)
- Introduction to ERDAS IMAGINE and Digital Image Processing
Module: 4 Global and National Initiatives
- Overview of The Disaster Management Support Programme
- Key International and Regional Initiatives
Module: 5 Hazard Mapping, Monitoring
- GIS Applications in Agricultural Drought Monitoring and Forecasting
- Landslide Hazard Mapping
- Flood Hazard Mapping
- Storm Surge Hazard Mapping, Vulnerability Analysis
- Tsunami Vulnerability Mapping and Risk Assessment
- Analyzing Multi-date data for Drought Early Warning & Monitoring
- Landslide Hazard Zonation
- Storm Surge Hazard Mapping Vulnerability and Risk Assessment
Module: 6 Disaster Management Planning and Emergency Response
Module: 7 GIS for Post-Disaster Damage Assessment
- Flood Inundation Mapping
- Preliminary Flood Damage Assessment
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
- Community-based DRR, GIS & Mapping, Disaster Risk Management
- Drought, Earthquake, Flood