- Meeting or Conference
- Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
- 14 Sep 2017
- United Kingdom (London)
Over the past 40 years, Disasters has been the leading journal in disaster studies. At the forefront of research and debates, it has challenged policy and practice concerning catastrophes, complex emergencies and protracted crises around the world. To celebrate this momentous occasion, ODI convenes a one-day conference bringing together scholars and experts from many countries to discuss how studies of disasters have evolved over the past 40 years and the implications for policy and practice.
As the world continues to face large-scale disasters and crises, it is critical that we review progress in reducing vulnerability and increasing resilience. The conference takes lessons from the past 40 years to re-evaluate current frameworks for prevention and response and draw up a forward-looking agenda for disaster studies.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Baroness Frances D’Souza – Founding Editor, Disasters Journal
- Prof Ian Davis – Visiting Professor, Oxford Brookes University
- Prof Helen Young – Co-Editor, Disasters Journal
- Associate Prof JC Gaillard – Associate Dean, University of Auckland
- Prof Lan Xue - Professor and Dean, Tsinghua University
- Dr Irasema Alcantara – Visiting Professor, Kyoto University
- Prof Luka Biong Deng - Professor, National Defense University, Washington
- Prof John Twigg - Co-Editor, Disasters Journal
- Dr Hugo Slim - Head of Policy and Humanitarian Diplomacy Division, ICRC
- Dr Yasemin Aysan - Independent Consultant
- Dr Jennifer Leaning - Director, François-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights, Harvard University
- Dr Sara Pantuliano - Co-Editor in Chief, Disasters
How to register
Contact John Nesbitt at [email protected] with your name and organisation, or sign up to watch the livestream.
- Complex Emergency, Disaster Risk Management
- United Kingdom