- Meeting or Conference
- Disaster Management Institute of Southern Africa (DMISA)
- 27-28 Sep 2017
- South Africa (Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, Eastern Cape Province)
- Coega Vulindlela Accommodation and Conference Centre, Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
The Annual DMISA (Disaster Management Institute fo Southern Africa) Conference is the largest annual Disaster Management Conference in Africa and routinely attracts more than 350 delegates. The conference provides opportunity for a diverse range of stakeholders in disaster management from across Africa to gather and share skills, knowledge and experience.
In 2017, the DMISA conference focuses on the fundamental purpose of Disaster Management and action rather than rhetoric towards that purpose. Importantly, the conference seeks to emphasise that getting the basics right does not curtail but rather expands the need for innovation and that all facets of disaster risk reduction and resilience must be actively and thoughtfully designed for implementation.
Disaster Risk Reduction 2017 will provide opportunity for considering past and future manifestations of disaster risk in Southern Africa and internationally, and to build enlightened consensus towards active disaster risk reduction, resilience and risk governance in both urban and rural settings.
In step with the multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral nature of disaster risk reduction and resilience building, there are of course many specific topics that could be covered under the “Purpose in Action” banner, and DMISA would like to encourage innovate and forward-looking discourse that activates and encourages on a practical level.
Please visit our DMISA Website for more information on the Conference: www.disaster.co.za
- Capacity Development, Civil Society/NGOs, Climate Change, Community-based DRR, Early Warning, Advocacy & Media, Urban Risk & Planning, Disaster Risk Management, Critical Infrastructure, Vulnerable Populations
- Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, United Rep of, Zambia, Zimbabwe