- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Regional Office for Asia and Pacific (UNISDR AP); Mongolia - government; National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)
- 05-07 Apr 2017
- Mongolia (Ulaanbaatar)
- Best Western Tuushin Hotel, Ulaanbaatar
The 2017 ISDR Asia Partnership (IAP) meeting will be held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia on 05-07 April 2017. As host of the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2018, the Government of Mongolia will co-organize this IAP with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
IAP 2017 will be the first regional DRR meeting since the successful outcome of the AMCDRR 2016 in New Delhi, India. The conference ended with the adoption of the New Delhi Declaration; the Asia Regional Plan for Implementation of the Sendai Framework; and ten Voluntary Commitment Action Statements.
The IAP acts as the main multi-stakeholder forum to facilitate the implementation and monitoring of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 in between the biennial AMCDRR. Collectively, the IAP and AMCDRR form the regional platform for DRR in Asia. The IAP comprises representatives of national governments (mainly Sendai Framework focal points), various stakeholders groups, sub-regional inter-governmental organizations, international financial institutions, development partners, UN & various international organizations, civil society organizations, media, academia and so on.
The IAP began in 2004 as an informal multi-stakeholder forum to facilitate the implementation of DRR action and subsequently the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) in Asia. It was expanded in 2007 to include regional inter-governmental organizations, governments, civil society organizations, UN and international organizations, bilateral and multilateral donors.
The fundamental role of the IAP is to support: a) the AMCDRR host government and regional political leadership to prepare for and deliver a successful AMCDRR; b) the biennial Sendai Monitor mechanism to gauge progress and gaps; c) stronger regional coordination and coherence through relationship building and experience sharing.
The 2017 IAP will:
- Reflect on the AMCDRR 2016 and the way forward;
- Share updates on the Asia Regional Plan and stakeholder commitments;
- Receive a final update on government and stakeholder plans for the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, in May, in Mexico;
- Begin consultations to ensure the successful delivery of the AMCDRR 2018 in Mongolia;
- Take account of progress in country disaster risk management (DRM) status reviews;
- Strengthen understanding of the Sendai Monitor system and its associated indicators for the seven targets;
- Share updates and experiences on key DRR efforts and issues in the region.
For updates and background documents, please click here.
- Governance, Disaster Risk Management