- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Regional Office for Africa (UNISDR AF)
- 15-16 Feb 2017
- Ethiopia (Addis Ababa)
Rapid urban growth presents a variety of challenges for local officials. As the closest level of government to communities, local governments are responsible for delivery of services. However, the often lack the necessary tools, knowledge and policies for increasing resilience and ensuring that these services are protected from hazards.
UNISDR with support from the European Commission is engaging 20 cities worldwide in an initiative to address these challenges. The initiative will support in the development and implementation of city risk-informed development plans that will have a direct relation with increased capacity to deal with risk, in addition to monitoring and evaluation for improved public services to communities.
The Project will be formally kicked-off in each region with participation of all beneficiary cities. The kick-off workshop for Sub-Saharan Africa is scheduled for 15-16 February 2016 in Addis Ababa,
Ethiopia. The workshop will have participation from representatives of Dire Dawa (Ethiopia), Kampala (Uganda), Kisumu (Kenya), Praia (Cape Verde) and Yaoundé (Cameroon).
The workshop will aim to:
- Enable beneficiary cities and potential partners to understand the results and outcomes of the initiative
- Identify progress and barriers in the beneficiary cities
- Introduce potential partners
- Agree on a work-plan and timeline.
- Community-based DRR, Urban Risk & Planning, Governance