- Training Course
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad, Management Sciences ) (CIIT)
- 17-18 Jun 2014
- Pakistan (Islamabad)
- Park Road, Chak Shahzad
Why learn CBDRM
Community Based Disaster Management (CBDRM) is an integral part of sustainable development, which places communities are at the heart of decision making vis-à-vis identification, assessment evaluation and management of disaster risks at the local level. Although disasters affect large areas, the effects are severe at the local level.
An indicator of the best form of good local disaster governance is to empower communities to formulate their plans to safeguard themselves from potential hazards before they turn into disasters. In addition to this, umbrella support has to be provided by national, regional or local government in terms of a legal and operational framework. Through CBDRM, Communities tend to enhance their resilience to natural and human induced disaster by proactively designing and implementing locally viable measures.
For disaster risk reduction practitioners and managers, CBDRM is a specialized area of interest with underlying objectives of developing deep understanding of the academic and technical aspect of local level of risks and vulnerabilities and appropriate actions that are required for risk reduction and mitigation.
Given the increasing vulnerability of our cities and communities to disasters, disaster professionals and interested learners have critical questions to answer. Whether local communities are prepared for coping with the next disasters? Given the vulnerability of our rural and urban populations, what can be expected from district, provincial and federal governments under the Disaster Management Act 2010? What opportunities can be learnt from other developing countries having large vulnerable populations to learn lessons for our communities? The training will provide the latest knowledge of CBDRM best practices to help disaster professional and interested learners to excel in their careers and enrich their portfolios by learning and practicing CBDRM for the good of their communities and organisations.
In this regard, COMSATS is pleased and to announce at two days Training course on “Community Based Disaster Risk Management” to be held on 17-18thJune, 2014in Islamabad, Pakistan.
The course aims at developing understanding on key areas of the CBDRM including:
· To understand the importance of CBDRM
· To know the basics of CBDRM and learn steps to designing a CBDRM project
· To learn the best practices to implement CBDRM
The course consists of two modules to be covered in two days:
Introduction to Community Based Disaster Risk Management and tools of hazard, vulnerability and capacity assessment (HVCA) assessment
Learning best global practices of Community Disaster Risk Management and designing of a Community Based Disaster Risk Management Project
· Introduction to Disaster Risk Management Terminologies
· Understanding different phases of disaster
· Disaster Risk Management in Pakistan
· Introduction to Community Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM) and its linkages to Hyogo Framework for Action
· Tools of hazard, vulnerability and capacity assessment (HVCA) and their applications for risk assessment
· Learning international best practices of Community Based Disaster Risk Management with case studies from Philippine, India and Bangladesh
· Community Based Disaster Risk Management and Pakistan: History, approaches and challenges
· Steps in designing a typical Community Based Disaster Risk Management project
· Group exercises on designing a Community Based Disaster Risk Management Project
Modern adult learning techniques would involve interactive lectures, group work, presentations, use of audio/video visuals, case studies and discussions. Training methodology will fully focusing on “do how” rather than “know how”.
Resource persons will be a combination of competent academics and practitioners to cover theoretical and practical implications of the subjects covered in the training.
COMSATS reserves the right to cancel or postpone the course if circumstances so require.
Target audienceThe training has been designed for Disaster Risk practitioners involved in designing and implementing CBDRM related projects and programs in their respective organizations. Beside the course encourages Mid-level Disaster Risk professionals, development and humanitarian response practitioners, government officials, consultants, researchers, specialists of training and academic institutions, I/NGOs and donors representatives who are interested in acquiring fundamental knowledge on CBDRM.
How to registerSee registration form at http://ww3.comsats.edu.pk/ciitblogs/Files/CCRDRegistrationForm.docx
- Community-based DRR