- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction - Sub-Regional Office for the Pacific (UNISDR Pacific); Pacific Community (SPC)
- 02-04 Jun 2014
- Fiji (Suva)
The 2014 meeting of the Pacific Platform for Disaster Risk Management, held on 02-04 June in Suva, Fiji, was an important milestone of the ‘Roadmap’ process and in receiving valuable Pacific stakeholder input on elements of the successor of the Hyogo Framework for Action, all contributing to the determination of disaster and climate resilience in the broader global development agendas. The broad purpose of this Platform was to seek the contributions and endorsement of the disaster risk management and climate change ‘community’ and a range of stakeholder groups for the Strategy for Climate and Disaster Resilient Development in the Pacific, and to provide input into and build commitments for the post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
In 2011, the Pacific islands region agreed to develop a Strategy for Climate and Disaster Resilient Development in the Pacific by 2015 to succeed the Pacific Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management Framework for Action 2005 – 2015 and Pacific Islands Framework for Action on Climate Change 2006 – 2015. The new strategy will provide a new approach on how to efficiently address DRM and Climate Change within the context of risk resilient development. The process of developing this new strategy has become known as the ‘Roadmap’.
The objectives of the 2014 Pacific Platform for Disaster Risk Management were:
- Strengthen interaction between the ‘Disaster’ and other communities in the Pacific, and provide the opportunity for stakeholders to contribute and endorse the Strategy for Disaster and Climate Resilient Development and contribute to the development of the post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
- Facilitate the sharing of experiences and ‘lessons learned’ on disaster risk management amongst Pacific island countries and territories and stakeholder groups.
- Celebrate the achievements and progress review of the implementation of the current Hyogo Framework of Action.
- Prepare and develop commitments by the Pacific for the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Reduction in Japan in March 2015.
How to registerPlease register through the following link http://pacificdisaster.net/platform/ noting that registrations will close at 4.00pm (Fiji local time) on Friday, 2nd May 2014.
All participants sponsored by SPC and SPREP do not need to register online
- Climate Change, Governance, Disaster Risk Management