- Meeting or Conference
- Asian Urban Research Association (AURA); Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- 28-30 Dec 2013
- India (Varanasi)
- Department of Geography, Banaras Hindu University
Urban dynamics, environment and health: Challenges for the twenty first century
The 12th international Asian Urbanization Conference, as part of a biennial series of conferences bringing together academics and practitioners, is sponsored and organized by the Asian Urban Research Association, Shippensburg University, Pennsylvania, USA.
It encourages dialogue and deliberation of experts / scholars from different disciplines and countries on the ‘Asian urban dynamics, environment and Health' and the major issues and challenges to be faced by the present and future generation at the local, regional, state, national, international, continental and global level in the 21st century.
Also the conference aims at examining current trends, pattern, process and implications of rapid urban growth through wide range of discussion on a cross-section of issues and to find a new pathway for a future direction and concrete action plan for policy program change in different Asian countries toward sustainable urban development and environment for better health, peace and prosperity of the present and future urban people and the people of urban hinterland.
Themes and sub-themes of the Conference:
Following are the leading themes and sub-themes of the conference and will be addressed in context of Asian urban milieu.
- Spatial dynamics
- Population dynamics
- Social dynamics
- Economic and technological dynamics
- Political dynamics
- Natural catastrophes (floods, droughts, cyclones, storms, earthquakes, tsunamis and landslides)
- Urban pollution
- Solid and liquid waste material management
- Transport related problems and risks
- Industrial and other occupational hazards and working conditions
- Social crises
- Economic crises
- Housing condition, slums population environment and urban poverty
- Marginalization of local communities in urban areas
- Climate change and urban environment (scarcity of water, depletion of ground water, etc.)
- Urban environmental governance and people’s participation
- Integrated approaches and initiatives to the valuation of urban environmental problems and effects on health, amenities, and ecological values
- Urban environmental and urban disasters planning, management, perception and awareness
- Climate change and occurrence of diseases
Event feeRs.1500: Indian nationals; $75 (USD): SAARC country scholars/practitioners; $125 (USD): rest developing country scholars/practitioners; $175 (USD): developed/high income country scholars/practitioners.
How to register
Kindly send the registration form to:
Prof. B.R.K. Sinha
Convener, 12th International Asian Urbanization Conference
Department of Geography, Faculty of Science, Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi, UP -221005, India
email it to Prof. B.R.K. Sinha (For foreign participants only)
- Climate Change, Community-based DRR, Health & Health Facilities, Urban Risk & Planning, Governance, Economics of DRR, Water, Social Impacts & Social Resilience, Critical Infrastructure, Vulnerable Populations
- Cyclone, Drought, Earthquake, Flood, Land Slide, Technical Disaster, Tsunami