- Meeting or Conference
- Institute of Communication, Tallinn University; Ministry of the Environment; Nordic Cooperation, Nordic Council of Ministers); Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI)
- 23-24 Oct 2013
- Estonia (Tallinn)
- Radisson Blu Hotel Olümpia
The global problems resulting from climate change require an international response. Not that this means such changes and the activities related to them need always be dealt with on a global scale – a regional response is just as valuable, since the changes manifest themselves in different parts of the world in different ways, and much of the action that has a widespread effect starts with steps taken locally.
This Nordic-Baltic climate conference will look at the future of our region and our options in the global context. The organizers wish to open up the complex climate issue by probing its political, scientific and economic aspects.
What are the latest findings in climate science? What are the benefits of climate action and what is in it for economy? How can Baltic and Nordic countries together show leadership in climate action?
- The Swedish, Finnish and Estonian ministers of the Environment, the head of the OECD's Environment Directorate Simon Upton and IPCC chapter coordinator Jens Hesselbjerg Christensen will discuss the progress, successes, failures and future of climate policy. The panel will be moderated by environmental journalist and long-standing BBC reporter Tom Heap;
- The Nordic and Baltic states present their climate policies. World Bank, International Energy Agency, World Wide Fund for Nature and European Commission analyze global trends.
- Top researchers introduce the current state of climate science and will look into the climate effects in the Nordic-Baltic region;
- Experts propose the curbing of short-lived forcing agents as a an efficient tool for achieving climate targets and reducing harm both to humans and wildlife by improving air quality;
- Experts and enterpreneurs discuss climate mitigation and adaptation strategies in agriculture, forestry, spatial planning and construction;
- Scientists present development scenarios indicating combination of enterprise and environmental and climate targets.
The conference looks forward to the participation of experts, scientists, officials, policy-makers, enterpreneurs, NGOs and the media.
How to register
Please register online.
- Climate Change, Environment & Ecosystems, Governance, Economics of DRR, Food Security & Agriculture
- Estonia, Finland, Sweden