- Meeting or Conference
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- 21-24 Oct 2013
- United States of America (College Park, Maryland)
- NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP) Building
The objective of this workshop is to accelerate improvements in NOAA operational products and datasets, and delivery of climate information by bringing NCEP and broader climate community together to address the following themes:
- Exploring potential sources of predictability on intra-seasonal to interannual (ISI) time scales.
- Realizing prediction skill by improving forecast tools and techniques through dynamical models and statistical methods, forecaster practices and protocols, data quality and assimilation, and scientific best practices.
- Enhancing monitoring and timely attribution and assessment of recent high impact weather, water, and climate events.
- Improving forecast evaluation process, including verification techniques, performance metrics, evaluating existing forecast tools, the process of phasing out old tools and implementing new forecast tools, and engaging users in the evaluation process.
- Developing applications that enhance NOAA climate services by improving understanding of user needs and delivering the best available climate information for the NOAA societal challenges in water, coasts, extremes, and marine ecosystems.
The workshop will feature oral presentations, poster sessions, invited talks and panel discussions. Discounted student registration and some travel support for students will be available. There will be special events for students and young professionals (e.g., poster and presentation awards, networking reception), as well as for GIS and Communications.
Event feeAttendee: on or before October 14- $240, onsite registration- $265, Student: on or before October 14- $140, onsite registration: $165, One-Day: on or before October 14- $100, onsite registration: $125
What is included in the event fee
All program sessions, an Ice-Breaker on Monday evening, poster session on Tuesday evening, conference dinner on Wednesday evening, and breakfast and refreshment breaks daily.
How to register
- Climate Change, Early Warning, Environment & Ecosystems, Risk Identification & Assessment, Water
- United States of America