- Training Course
- UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI)
- 14 Oct - 03 Nov 2013
The course run by the UNEP FI Climate Change Working Group will offer courses on this important issue over the internet with the aim of increased quality and effectiveness in training. Through the running of the first course, UNEP FI has found strong demand amongst financial institutions to learn about climate change and how it affects their industry. Today, with the climate change agenda becoming even more relevant for the financial services sector, UNEP FI is pleased to offer this tenth course.
The key areas to be addressed by this course are:
- A general introduction to climate change, the science and impacts, and key international and regional policies in place to tackle it i.e. the Kyoto Protocol and the post-Kyoto discussions.
- Climate Risk: What are the key risks and what does it mean for the banking, insurance and fund management sectors?
- Climate change and the energy economy: What does it mean for energy financing and what are the opportunities in alternative energy technologies?
- Carbon finance and the Kyoto Mechanisms: Emissions trading i.e. the European Union Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS), the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and the Joint Implementation (JI).
The goal is to educate and enable key senior and mid-level executives to further understand the business complexities presented by climate change so that they can:
- Integrate it into corporate action plans and strategies
- Identify risks, opportunities and markets for new plans and strategies
- Adapt the material for internal use, and use course material as a stand-alone reference guide.
Event feeUSD 700/person (up to 3 participants per institution) for UNEP Finance Initiative Members and for NGOs, Academics and Government representatives; USD 900/person - for financial institutions that are not members of UNEP FI and consultancies
Executives and middle management from financial institutions such as banks, insurers, reinsurers, and fund managers, from both developed and developing regions. Governments and civil society who want to learn the climate change issue from the perspective of the financial industry also welcomed.
How to register
Please register online.
- Climate Change, Risk Identification & Assessment, Insurance & Risk Transfer, Governance, Economics of DRR