- Meeting or Conference
- Kadir Has University
- 24-27 Oct 2013
- Turkey (Istanbul)
- Kadir Has University
The World Conference on Humanitarian Studies will be organized jointly with the Third Istanbul Human Security Conference on 24-27 October 2013.
The panel sessions address four conference themes in innovative and interactive formats to engage both the academic and practitioner communities.
This is a call for papers for the panel on “Effectiveness and innovative approaches in disaster preparedness”.
Disaster preparedness, an element of DRR and a key factor to increase resilience, still receives a limited amount of consideration and investment. According to a recent study, “emergency preparedness and broader DRR” funding in 10 countries in 2011 amount to 3% of the total humanitarian assistance received; while emergency preparedness only, or partially preparedness activities amount to little more than 1%.
This panel aims at demonstrating that, although overlooked, disaster preparedness – as a specific, individual element of DRR - carries crucial benefits and that, properly structured, funded and implemented at all levels including local ones, it is an extremely effective measure able to prevent suffering for vulnerable populations and it is a cost-effective investment for donors.
The panel discusses strengths and weaknesses of this approach and debates ways to improving it:
- By defining its recent evolution
- By analyzing the current practice of disaster preparedness and presenting case studies that assess its effectiveness at various levels (local, subnational, national and global)
- Through comparative studies, cost-opportunity and financial analysis
- Through evaluations of disaster preparedness impact in times of disaster.
The panel will examine as well:
- Innovative methods, including use of technology, novel community practices, disaster preparedness crowdsourcing
- Evolution of funding mechanisms to include disaster preparedness, new donor strategies and disaster preparedness
- Integration in the development agenda, inclusion in decentralization processes
- Other new trends in its architecture and implementation.
How to register
Please submit your paper abstracts for this panel to Moira Fratta.
Deadline for abstracts is 1 September 2013.
- Economics of DRR, Disaster Risk Management, Vulnerable Populations