- Meeting or Conference
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development) (EPFL)
- 04-06 Jun 2014
- Switzerland (Lausanne)
- Swiss Tech Convention Center at Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
- What are the needs for essential technologies?
- What are successful processes to develop and deploy essential technologies?
- How can we evaluate the impact of technologies? How does impact measurement drive innovation?
- Science and technology for disaster risk reduction
- Technologies for sustainable development of habitat and cities
- Information and communication technologies for the environment
- Technologies for sustainable energy
- Medical technologies
Call for session leaders
Leading Southern and Northern researchers and practitioners are invited to submit a proposal to organize a breakout session, taking into account the strategic aims of the conference. These sessions will form the core of the conference and are an opportunity for participants to generate new knowledge. The selected session leaders will be part of the Scientific Committee of the UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development Conference. As a member of the scientific committee the session leader will collaborate closely with the conference organizers regarding the review process to select the papers that will be presented as well as contribute to the overall organization of the conference.
Sessions can be proposed to explore one of the three guiding questions in one of the core areas. The conference organizers will cover the travel and accommodation costs of the Session Leaders.
Call for abstracts
The UNESCO Chair invites authors from research, industry, policy or civil society to submit their abstracts under one of the three guiding questions and in one of the core areas of the conference. The abstracts can either offer good examples and pilot experiences of concrete applications or provide reflections on these issues. Abstracts need to be based on North-South or South-South collaborations.
Abstracts in English of a maximum of 500 words should be submitted before 14 October 2013. Abstracts will be peer reviewed and a decision will be sent by 11 November 2013. The deadline for full paper submission is 13 January 2014. A selection of the best papers presented at the conference will be considered for publication in an edited volume by Springer-Verlag. Some level of financial assistance may be available for authors from developing or emerging countries.
Event feeEarly: Standard - CHF 350; Students, EPFL staff, unemployed, and participants from developing countries - CHF 250; Regular: Standard - CHF 450; Students, EPFL staff, unemployed, and participants from developing countries - CHF 350
What is included in the event feeThe fees include attendance at all plenary and break-out sessions, conference bag, refreshment breaks, buffet lunches, networking event evening of 5 June, the electronic proceedings of the accepted papers (on a USB memory stick) as well as a book of abstracts.
Target audienceParticipants from developing or emerging countries are strongly encouraged to attend.
How to register
Please submit session proposals online by 15 September 2013.
Please submit abstracts online by 14 October 2013.
Registration will open online on 1 October 2013.
Early registration ends 30 April 2014.
- Environment & Ecosystems, Health & Health Facilities, Information Management, Urban Risk & Planning