- Meeting or Conference
- Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement
- Other organizer:
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA); SEEDS - Asia (SEEDS Asia); United Nations Development Programme - Myanmar (UNDP Myanmar); United Nations Human Settlements Programme - Myanmar (UN-HABITAT Myanmar)
- 02-04 Jul 2013
- Myanmar (Nay Pyi Taw)
- Hotel Thingaha
Past and ongoing disaster management capacity building initiatives:
Since 1977, the Relief and Resettlement Department (RRD) has been conducting disaster management courses (DMC) to build capacity of government staff at various levels in disaster management. In the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis in 2008, there has been a paradigm shift in government’s strategy to address disaster risk reduction as part of recovery and reconstruction efforts. Realizing the importance of addressing disaster risk reduction as a priority, cross sectoral and development issue, the Government of Myanmar has launched “Myanmar Action Plan for Disaster Risk Reduction (MAPDRR)” with a goal ‘to make Myanmar safer and more resilient against natural hazards, thus protecting lives, livelihood and developmental gains’ in 2009 and endorsed an updated plan in 2012 in line with the reform process. Among 65 priority projects “Expansion Plan for Disaster Management Training” is one of the priority projects under MAPDRR and currently, the Relief and Resettlement Department (RRD) with technical assistance from Disaster Risk Reduction Working Group (DRRWG) has completed the initial review and updating of DMC course curriculum and it is in the process of rolling out of DM course in the country.
Towards establishment of disaster management training center:
Taking note of future need, MAPDRR has also identified “Establishment of Disaster Management Training Center” as a priority activity to provide technical support on disaster management to ministries, departments and other institutions at region/state and lower administrative levels. It has proposed for upgrading the existing Disaster Management Training Unit of RRD to be the key entity for creating a National Disaster Management Training Center in Myanmar. In addition to training functions, following roles have been identified for the training center:
1. Act as the technical advisory body to sub-committees of National Disaster Preparedness Central Committee.
2. Collaborate with similar institutions in ASEAN and other countries for research and development.
Currently, the government is in the process of endorsing a comprehensive Disaster Management Law with new institutional arrangement to provide impetus for disaster management in Myanmar. With the new legal and institutional framework, there is a need to translate the above legal and policy frameworks into practical action and support implementation through development interventions and complementary DRR measures. This in turn requires adequate capacity and technical know-how among various stakeholders at all levels to successfully carry out their functions vested by the law. Recently, the government has approved the land for establishment of Training Center in Hinthata Township, Ayeyarwaddy Region and Relief and Resettlement Department is in the process of securing funds for construction of the center. In addition to the physical infrastructure, there is a need to have a clear strategy on human resource (HR) and capacity building (CB) in various thematic areas of Disaster Management as the current DMC course serves only as a foundation course for Disaster Management.
Considering the need to develop a comprehensive strategy to address human resource development and capacity building on Disaster Management in Myanmar, the Relief and Resettlement Department is currently in dialogue with various stakeholders including line ministries, UNs, INGOs, Local NGOs, ASEAN member states, donors and bilateral partners to develop long term strategy and support.
Taking note of above, the Relief and Resettlement Department is organizing a “Stakeholder Consultation Workshop on developing Capacity Building Strategy through the establishment of Disaster Management Training Centre” in Myanmar.
- Present RRD’s ongoing capacity building initiatives, future plan for the DM Training Center
- Share experiences of National / Regional DM Training Institutes or Centers from the region in human resource development and capacity building
- Discuss, provide inputs and recommendations on scope and strategy of proposed DM Training Center
- Map long term human resource and capacity building needs
- Document good practices from the region which can be adapted in the context of Myanmar
- Feedback on the proposed DM Training Center and its future plan and strategy
- Document good practices from the National / Regional DM Training Institutes or Centers
- Recommend priority areas for human resource development and capacity building on Disaster Management in Myanmar
- Action Plan for human resource development and capacity building with possible commitments for further support
- Establish network and partnership with National and Regional Training Institutes or Centers for long term human resource
Experts from various departments from national, state/regional level, academic institutes, training institutes, professional bodies, representatives of national disaster management centers/institutions, ASEAN, members of DRR WG, donors and bilateral partners in Myanmar.
- Capacity Development, Education & School Safety, Governance, Disaster Risk Management, Social Impacts & Social Resilience