- Training Course
- African Center for Disaster Risk Management, Addis Ababa University (ACDRM)
- 15-26 Jul 2013
- Ethiopia (Addis Ababa)
- College of Natural Science, Addis Ababa University
The devastating impact of disasters events has increased three-fold in a twenty-year period from the 1970s. The resulting economic losses have increased fivefold. Communities all over the world are facing serious challenges towards establishing a sustained development due to the effect of the changing climate patterns. Climate and disaster risks have become a major and urgent challenge of our time to human security - ecological and developmental - and which may worsen food insecurity, poverty, the spread of HIV/AIDS, forced migration and conflict.
Disasters will continue to undermine development progress and change the environments in which we live. Along with structural causes, disasters have profoundly worsened due to societal neglect of their true causes.
Government development organizations as well as NGO sector have widely in need of knowledge and tool to enhance their climate smart and disaster risk reduction initiatives to ensure it can help to withstand and bounce back from any eventualities. This course provides relevant and useful knowledge on disaster risk reduction and skills on facilitating learning to other stakeholders.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Define the different terminologies use in the realm of DRM and DM
- Identify the different models of disaster risk management and disaster management
- Describe the process of disaster risk management
- Demonstrate the risk assessment process
- Develop and list effective DRM strategies and system based from the result of risk assessment
- Describe and list the institutional requirement to be effective and efficient in DRM.
- Identify the process of monitoring and evaluation system that would measure progress DRM initiatives
- Identify enabling environment that would scale up the DRM initiatives.
- Demonstrate the process of training design development and session plans and delivery
- List essential skills for effective learning facilitators of DRM
What is included in the event feeTraining materials, food and accommodation.
The participants who are to benefit from the course are:
- Seniors officers on Disaster Risk Management
- Senior managers in UN agencies, NGO's and etc
- Senior Academicians and Researchers who have the knowedge and experience in DRM and CC
How to register
For registration please email the event coordinator or call +251 1911338612 for more information.
- Civil Society/NGOs, Climate Change, Risk Identification & Assessment, Governance, Disaster Risk Management, Food Security & Agriculture