- Meeting or Conference
- Gent BC; Ghent University (UGent); International Centre of Eremology (ICE)
- 17-18 Jun 2013
- Netherlands (Ghent)
- NH Hotel Gent Belfort
Climate change at a global, regional or local (micro) scale, with its unstable and varying weather conditions, is reflected in the occurrence of extreme events with either excess or with scarcity (deficit) of water. Human impacts additionally bring about the land and its habitants to face and suffer from this environmental instability.
Drylands have been cradles to some of the world’s greatest civilisations and dryland ecosystems support a surprising amount of biodiversity, subject to degradation and destruction. Desertification and Land Degradation have adversely affected 70% of the world's drylands as a result of extended droughts as well as mismanagement of range and cultivated land. Land degradation is a phenomenon occurring under all climate conditions, at different levels and at all scales.
The DesertLand Conference brings together scientists, volunteers, research and service institutions, NGO's and corporations that help cope with the problems and find appropriate solutions. It is a unique opportunity to find out how projects of the past (since RIO 1992 conventions!) have made a difference and how the future problems should be tackled!
- Climate and desertification
- Desertification and land degradation: A negative socio-economic balance?
- Soil water scarcity: Assessment and remediation
- Extreme events: Precipitation, temperature, drought
- Combating land degradation under different climatic conditions
- Sustainable amnagement of drylands and drought affected areas
- Land management for controlling wind and water erosion
- Land management for combating desertification and land degradation under different climatic conditions
Event feeTwo day ticket: student - 250, academic - 350, regular - 500; One day ticket: student - 150, academic - 210, regular - 300
What is included in the event fee
- Admission to all sessions
- Submission of abstract for oral and poster presentation
- Admission to exhibitions
- Conference material (bag, program, book of abstracts etc)
- Coffee and lunches at the conference venue
- Conference Reception on 17th June at the City Hall
- VAT of 21%
How to register
Please register online
- Climate Change, Environment & Ecosystems, Water