- Meeting or Conference
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Headquarters (UNESCO)
- 08-09 Apr 2013
- France (Paris)
- UNESCO Headquarters, Room V
This expert consultation is an integral part of UNESCO’s effort to develop policy guidelines on Climate Change Education in the context of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). As lead agency of the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD, 2005-2014), UNESCO is leading an effort to integrate the various educational responses to climate change – including both educational strategies for mitigation and adaptation – into one coherent whole. Such a framework will facilitate cross-sector and inter-agency collaboration within countries and regions that is otherwise hard to achieve, by establishing a common understanding of what needs to be done to enhance education responses to climate change.
The expert group will provide advice on the guidelines UNESCO is currently drafting based on:
- A synthesis of existing recommendations and guidelines on ESD and relevant educational efforts (e.g. education for disaster preparedness, education for sustainable consumption)
- Policy briefs and reports on education and climate change published by UN agencies, international NGOs and think tanks
- Resource materials on climate change education interventions
Final guidelines will be further informed by a cross-national analysis of policy development on ESD and Climate Change Education and four country case studies of UNESCO’s pilot projects on Climate Change Education for Sustainable Development (in South Africa, Mauritius, Tuvalu and Guyana).
- Civil Society/NGOs, Climate Change, Education & School Safety, Governance