- Training Course
- E-enhancement Centre
- 29 Feb 2012 - 01 Feb 2013
- Kenya (Nairobi)
The Course will provide a Practical, hands-on GIS problem solving, by making use of Free and Open Source GIS Software ‘Quantum GIS (QGIS)’
The objective of the four-day course will be to guide participants through a systematic process of understanding the various stages GIS can be utilised.
• GIS data formats - software and concepts.
• GIS data analysis – database and spatial data analysis
• Planning - Using GIS participants will learn how to pinpoint hazards and begin to evaluate the consequences of potential emergencies and disasters;
• Mitigation - Determining and prioritizing mitigation needs e.g. what developments such as roads, bridges are within the primary impact zone of an earthquake/fire/flood etc.
• Preparedness - How GIS can provide real time monitoring for emergency early warning
• Response - The use of the primary components for computer-aided dispatch systems (CAD).
• Recovery - The use of GIS in damage location, assessment, shelter allocation/relocation, emergency supply distribution, restored services.
- Early Warning, Recovery, Space & Aerial Technology, GIS & Mapping