- Training Course
- RedR - India
- 25-29 Nov 2012
- India (Patna, Bihar)
Community based disaster risk management (CBDRM) is a process, which leads to a locally appropriate and locally 'owned' strategy for disaster preparedness and risk reduction. RedR India’s course on community based disaster risk management explores the different dimensions of the CBDRM approach and has been designed to improve the effectiveness of specialist and non-specialist professionals in disaster response, helping them to link the disasters with risk reduction and development in a sustainable manner. This course can be made modular to focus on different topics like community based disaster preparedness (CBDP), community emergency response teams, community contingency planning (CCP) and organisational level disaster preparedness (OLDP).
This course introduces the significance, nature and scope of community based disaster risk reduction and management, and further delves in to understanding the essentials of preparedness planning. Further, it explores the process of capacity and vulnerability analysis, participatory planning and risk assessment tools, predictability, forecasting and early warning systems, use of sphere standards in community based disaster preparedness, family level preparedness and relief and rescue, long term disaster mitigation and preparedness measures and asset building for the same. It also covers a community-based approach to project and programme planning for relief, recovery and resettlement.
- Understand the concepts underlying CBDRM, in the context of the Disaster Management Cycle;
- Understand key elements of a comprehensive disaster preparedness strategy;
- Carry out the participatory facilitation of hazard, vulnerability, capacity and risk assessment of individuals, families and communities;
- Undertake stakeholder analyses of communities and their environment;
- Plan and design effective community disaster awareness initiatives, including training and rehearsals.
Event feeResidential rate $ 600 ; Non-residential rate $ 350.
What is included in the event fee
Residential Rate : tuition, accommodation and all meals.
Non-residential rate: tuition, lunch, morning and evening refreshments.
This course is ideal for Government Officials, INGOs, UN, Red Cross, NGOs and development professionals who are working and are involved in CBDRR initiatives. It is also suitable for :
- Humanitarian workers and specialists
- Emergency response or management specialists with some experience of a major NGO transnational network or the UN
How to register
Please fill out the attached registration form and send it to [email protected]
- Capacity Development, Community-based DRR, Early Warning, Recovery, Risk Identification & Assessment, Governance