- Meeting or Conference
- African Centre for Disaster Studies (ACDS)
- 10-12 Oct 2012
- South Africa (Potchefstroom)
The African Centre for Disaster Studies at North-West University would like to welcome disaster reduction academics, researchers, practitioners and post-gradute students from around the globe to the first biennial disaster risk reduction conference and official launch of the Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction.
The aim of the conference is three fold:
- The ACDS will be turning 10 years in 2012 and this 1st International Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction will be held to celebrate the 10 years.
- Secondly, the aim of the conference is to provide a platform for the presentation, discussion and debate of different academics and professional approaches and research on disaster reduction issues.
- Thirdly, the ACDS plan to establish and launch a disaster risk reduction society for the Southern Africa (SADC region) during the conference. The aim of the society is to bring together practitioners/NGOs in the various fields of DRR and the academic/research domain and to provide a platform to share knowledge and good practices, engage in mentorships and internships, influence policy and advocacy in the SADC region.
Event feeEarly bird registration: US$450 (until 31 May 2012) Full fees: US$510
Target audienceDisaster reduction academics, researchers, practitioners and post-gradute students from around the globe.
- Civil Society/NGOs, Urban Risk & Planning, Governance, Disaster Risk Management
- South Africa