- Training Course
- Center for Sustainable Development (CSDi)
- 03 Jul 2012 - 25 Feb 2013
CSDi is announcing the launch of a diploma module of eight online Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Community Based Adaptation (CBA) & Rural Development field courses. Join students from all over the world for an intensive series. Course participants identify local community vulnerabilities, risks and hazards, then investigate appropriate solutions, develop full projects, launch and manage them. A strong course component is the integration of DRR and CBA. Online course participants are using our courses to develop real, on-the-ground projects with real communities—both individually and through North/South student partnerships. People from 129 different countries and 380 organizations have used CSDi online courses to develop projects impacting over 200,000 people.
DRR-focused projects developed by course participants have included
• participatory vulnerability and capacity assessments
• community-based risk identification and reduction programs
• hazard mapping
• disaster risk management
• emergency preparedness
• resilience to extreme weather conditions
• community flood resilience program; flood preparation, response and recovery
• forming community based flood management (response) committees
• community awareness-raising of disaster risk and response
• use of bio-engineering for slope stabilization and run-off reduction for landslide and flash flood reduction
We supply two levels of mentoring. Each week’s assignment will be accompanied by a clear, professional example of what we want you to achieve that week. We will also provide comments, suggestions and encouragement for each one of your assignments individually. We want you to develop high quality outputs, and we also want you to understand the hows and whys. The classes are designed to be fun and interactive: you will not only be working with your community, you will be collaborating with colleagues from around the globe.
Event feeCourse fees range from $160 for citizens/residents of developed nations and $100 for citizens/residents of developing nations.
What is included in the event feeAll learning resources and course materials are freely downloadable from the course site at no additional cost and include:
-200 manuals & field guides of development activities
-300 Community Based Adaptation for Climate Change field activities
-Community-based training guides for 150 development activities
-Scholarship opportunities for citizens of developing nations
-Documents on course topics by contemporary experts.
-Books, posters and manuals available online for download.
-Internet development links organized by sector.
-Class forum for posting questions to your classmates.
Target audienceSouthern and Northern development students, field staff, grant writers, project managers, directors, and donor staff.
How to register
There are two steps for enrolling in the course:
1. Pay the course fee.
2. Fill out the Student Information form
- Climate Change, Community-based DRR, Risk Identification & Assessment, Disaster Risk Management, Social Impacts & Social Resilience