This risk profile is currently being updated with new data from the 2013 Global Risk Update.
National Platform, Hyogo Framework for Action
Ministry of Interior (MoI)
Contact: Deputy Director
Phone: +359 296010221
2001 - the former Civil Protection Service under the Ministry of Defence was transformed into the State Agency for Civil Protection under the Council of Ministers. The cooperation with IDNDR starts.
2006 – Ministry of State Policy for Disasters and Accidents including National Civil Protection Service Directorate General with territorial units in every region of Bulgaria; Becomes a National Platform for DRR
2008 - The Ministry of State Policy for Disasters and Accidents was renamed to Ministry of Emergency Situations (MES).
December 2009 - the structure became a Civil Protection Directorate-General under the Ministry of Interior.
January 2011 – With the amendments to the Law on the Ministry of Interior (promulg. Official Gazette No 88 of 9 November 2010) CD Fire Safety and Rescue and CD Civil Protection were integrated in a new structure - Chief Directorate Fire Safety and Civil Protection.
2012- With the latest changes in the Disaster Protection Law a Consultative Council for supporting the Council of Ministers in forming the state policy for disaster protection was created. It was designated as the new National Platform for DRR in the Republic of Bulgaria. The Order of Procedure of the Council came into force on 28 May 2012. The Council continues the state’s efforts in this field since 1990 when started the International Decade for Disaster Risk Reduction.
The Council is a constantly acting consultative body of the Council of Ministers that ensures the coordination and cooperation in developing and performing the state policy in the field of disaster protection and disaster risk reduction.
The Council shall act as a National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in compliance with Hyogo Framework for Action 2005 - 2015.
The Council consists of a Chairman and members. The Chairman of the Council is the Minister of Interior. The Chairman leads the work of the Council and is supported by a Secretary. The Secretary of the Consultative Council is the Director of CD Fire Safety and Civil Protection, Ministry of Interior.
Other members of the Council are the deputy ministers from all of the other ministries, the Chairmen of the National Security State Agency, State Reserve and War-time Stocks State Agency, Nuclear Regulatory Agency, the Bulgarian Red Cross, the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Bulgarian Industrial Association and the National Association of Municipalities in Republic of Bulgaria, a representative of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences and a representative of the Scientific-expert group created under the Council. The scientific-expert group should support the design, coordination and implementation of scientific-technological policy in the field of disaster protection.
The general aim of the Consultative Council is to support the Council of Ministers in the Republic of Bulgaria to form the state policy for disaster protection and disaster risk reduction.
The financial resources for implementing the activities of the Council will be provided by the budget of DG Fire Safety and Civil Protection, Ministry of Interior.
Activities The main activities of the Council are in compliance with the HFA strategic goals and priorities for action and include the following:
- To propose and to coordinate the national policy and the applying of good practices in the field of disaster protection;
- To develop an Annual Working Program for its activities, priorities and tasks in compliance with the strategic goals in the field of disaster protection and disaster risk reduction;
- To organize the development of a Disaster Risk Reduction Strategy;
- To organize the preparation of the HFA Progress reports and to send them to the UNISDR Secretariat;
- To propose new legislation in the field of disaster protection when needed;
- To support the Council of Ministers in developing and integrating monitoring systems;
- To support the Council of Ministers in forming the policy for further development of the National System for Early Warning and Notification of the Executive Bodies and the Population in case of Disasters and its integration with other systems;
- To support the development of methodologies for disaster risk analysis, assessment and mapping.
- To support the Council of Ministers in planning of financial resources for disaster protection and disaster risk reduction;
- To analyse and give opinion to international documents in the field of disaster risk reduction and disaster protection;
- To organize the development of guidelines for education and training in the field of disaster protection;
- To organize and support information campaigns for different types of risks and how to react in case of disasters.
In compliance with its responsibilities and activity 3 from the “Main Activities” a National Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction was developed and it came into force in 2014. The National Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction is based on the Hyogo Framework for Action.