Mission & Disaster Reduction Profile
Founded in May 2004 and headquartered in Barcelona, United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) is the united voice and world advocate of democratic local self-government. It represents and defends the interests of local and regional governments on the world stage, regardless of the size of the communities they serve.View full profile on PreventionWeb
UCLG’s major areas of policy include local democracy, climate change and sustainable development, Achievement of the Millennium Development Goals of the United Nations (MDG), local finance, urban development, urban risk reduction, city diplomacy for peace building.
Activites in the campaign
- UCLG has been a partner in the Making Cities Resilient campaign since its set out and participated in the definition of the campaign strategy.
- UCLG hosted the first partnership meeting in Barcelona in 2009, and has organized different events in the “Africities 5” December 2009 with UNISDR and African Mayors; a workshop with Mayors from West Africa and Southern Africa.
- UCLG has integrated the principles of the Making Cities Resilient campaign in its Action Plan adopted in Mexico 2010.
- According to Mr.
- Boussaraoui, “people are very aware” of the potential impact of disasters in their territory and the public is absorbing disaster risk reduction concepts in areas where UCLG is working.
- Opportunities for future cooperation includes the promotion of UNISDR’s campaign.
- UCLG’s next big focus is on Rio+20, where their involvement is expected to revolve around four messages: UN governance; climate change; incorporation of culture as one of the pillars of sustainable development; and the Making Cities Resilient Campaign.
- Sendai is ready to tell its story
- Date: 6 Nov 2014
- Australian evacuation app takes prize in UN global…
- Date: 17 Oct 2014
- Climate Summit boost for resilient cities
- Date: 26 Sep 2014
- Mayor's Statement Global Platform DRR 2013 [ENG - PDF 358KB] Mayor's Statement Global Platform DRR 2013 [SPA - PDF 358KB] Chendgu Declaration for Action [PDF, 176KB] Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015 [ext. link] Ten-point checklist for making cities resilient [PDF 324KB] Bonn Declaration of the Mayors Adaptation Forum [PDF 175KB] FAQ [PDF 139KB]