Mission & Disaster Reduction Profile
ADPC MissionView full profile on PreventionWeb
To reduce the impact of disasters on communities and countries in Asia and the Pacific by raising awareness, helping to establish and strengthen sustainable institutional mechanisms, enhancing knowledge and skills, and facilitating the exchange of information, experience and expertise.
As a leading regional resource center, ADPC works towards the realization of disaster reduction for safer communities and sustainable development in Asia and the Pacific. Since its inception in 1986 as an independent non-governmental organization, ADPC has been recognized as the major independent center in the region for promoting disaster awareness and the development of local capabilities to foster institutionalized disaster management and mitigation policies.
With headquarters located in Bangkok, Thailand, ADPC has country offices in Bangladesh, Lao PDR and Myanmar. ADPC’s well-established networks with government line agencies and strong partnerships with regional organizations and development agencies provide the foundation for their work.
As the most hazard prone region in the world, Asia-Pacific must proactively manage its disaster risk. For nearly 30 years, the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) has been making Asia-Pacific safer by strengthening disaster resilience at all levels.
Activites in the campaign
- ADPC has contributed to the launch of the campaign in Thailand and other countries in Asia.
- At the New Delhi Mayors’ meeting in June 2010, ADPC promoted the signature for the campaign of more than 100 Mayors.
- ADPC has nominated the current governor of Bangkok Mr Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand a Champion for the “Making Cities Resilient” campaign representing all previous governors who have contributed in making Bangkok a better place for urban communities.
- Urban resilience goes on-line
- Date: 9 Apr 2015
- Japan and Netherlands join UNISDR in resilient cities…
- Date: 17 Mar 2015
- ISO standard to disaster-proof cities announced at UN…
- Date: 13 Mar 2015
- Mayor's Statement Global Platform DRR 2013 [ENG - PDF 358KB] Mayor's Statement Global Platform DRR 2013 [SPA - PDF 358KB] Chendgu Declaration for Action [PDF, 176KB] Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015 [ext. link] Ten-point checklist for making cities resilient [PDF 324KB] Bonn Declaration of the Mayors Adaptation Forum [PDF 175KB] FAQ [PDF 139KB]